Monday, January 30, 2012

Our Gardening Adventures: Starting Seeds (and a pin for day 34)

Yesterday, I picked up some potting soil to mix in with a compost pile of gross.   Ok, so compost really isn't gross, but I was out of ideas and things I could mix in with my veggie peels and what not, and quite frankly, there wasn't much option.  Why does everything have to be closed on Sundays? 

When we arrived home, my precious 3 year old daughter thought we HAD to plant some seeds NOW.  We had strawberries, parsley, and some radish seeds on hand for starters, so I agreed.  After her telling me all these things as to why we needed to plant them.  Yesterday.  She actually said, "Mooom the sooner they grow, the sooner we can eat them!  We should have planted them a week ago!"  Mhm. 

Since these plants are staying inside anyway, why not?  Our window generally gets about 6 hours of sunlight on days there's sun, so it couldn't be too bad.  And I had all the supplies.  We had saved a few egg cartons to do this pin.  You just plant your seeds in the differen't sections of the egg cartons, and watch them grow.  Once they sprout, you transplant the egg carton sections into pots or into your garden.  The carton will degrade and the roots will tear it apart, so why not? 


This set, my daughter planted all by herself.  I'm slightly proud!



And the dog?  She wouldn't stop sniffing the soil.   Hopefully she doesn't eat the seeds/plants.

I will say though that I don't expect these to really sprout.  Why?  Well that precious little girl in the picture decided that those seeds needed her apple juice more than she does, but we will see.  If they sprout, awesome!  If not, I'll be planting more seeds at the end of next month for planting into the yard, so I'll just start a few more then and hope to god she learns her lesson the first time.

Kids..

How about you?  Do you plan on growing anything this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment