Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Getting up to Speed Part 1

What in the world did I do for six months instead of blog?  I bet you're wondering all about the adventures I've done and the things I've created since June, right?  Well, this series of posts will be full of the big fun awesome activities that have happened since then, one awesome adventure at a time.

Edelweiss Anniversary



Sometime last February, I managed to win a free two nights stay at Edelweiss resort in Garmisch, Germany by answering a random trivia question about Amelia Earhart.  It pays to know your random useless facts sometimes!  Well, we decided that we wanted to go sometime during the summer, and even found a babysitter for the children, complete with full plans on hiking up the Zugspitze, which is the tallest mountain in Germany.  Ha, none of that happened, except the actual stay in the hotel.  The baby sitter flaked, and my pregnancy started becoming super painful to the point I couldn't really make it up stairs, much less up a mountain.



Despite our alone anniversary vacation turning into a full fledged family trip, we enjoyed our stay and went on to have entirely too much fun anyway.  Only at this particular moment in time have I realized that we didn't take any pictures while at the hotel this time!  We also managed to only get -one- picture with the children and me in it.  Who does that?!  Us.  I'll be making it a priority to make sure we get a family picture any time we go somewhere from this moment on.  (So enjoy the scenery pictures instead!)

Now, down to the details of what actually happened.  Well, we arrived, awe'd at the beauty, played in the pool, and enjoyed an interesting dinner at the downstairs bar/grill because going out into town was overrated.   The kids hated the life vest requirement, but everyone still managed to get soaked, play around, almost drown, and then decide the pool sucked.  Followed, of course, by the request to return.

Day two held much more exciting things.  We went to both linderhof and Neuschwanstein!  The only thing that sucked was rain at Linderhof followed by a crabby almost two year old at the castle.  Oh, and the wait. This story I am lucky enough to tell in pictures.

This is the fountain behind linderhof palace.  

That, well, that is the gazeebo at the top of all. those. stairs.  Holy cow, what a walk.

But the garden was beautiful.  so many pretty statues!

The only picture with me and the kids.  Also, a photobomber.  Good job, random stranger!

That's the palace from about halfway up.

And there it is from the top.  We were lucky enough to be right at the gazeebo when the fountain turned on.  I had no idea it even was an actual fountain.

"Don't mind me, I'm just a random swan."  The kids tried to pet it. 

This one walked the entire way.  Notice me using the umbrella as a cane.  My hips were on fire by this point.

What's this?  Hohenschwangou.  It is the twin castle of Neuschwanstein.  

Then, we had to walk up a very long hill to the castle because the Horse and buggy don't actually take you all the way up.  Why would they?

But, nonetheless, I made it up!

And then proceeded to take a picture of the castle we had come from.

After the tour, we decided the bus would be the best route down.  Little did I know, it was a nice walk uphill.  I think I was about dead by the time we reached the bus area.

And then we realized we could do even MORE walking and go see the waterfall.  Genius, right?  I barely made it back to the car after that.



One might ask, "What did you learn by this?"  That wearing an ergo with a 25 pound child in it actually helps sciatica and hip problems in pregnancy.  Also, don't walk that much up hill.  And don't take a two year old out site seeing.

What an interesting anniversary we had.  I cannot wait until the day we can actually spend some time away from children.  One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment