Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 5 Pinterest Challenge: Creative Calendar.

This holiday season, I decided it was time to find the perfect homemade gift for a few friends and family members.  Well, a giant lightbulb went on when I found this calendar.  Before I get into the calendar, I must say that my sister is one of the most creative, cunning, awesome blondes I've ever met.  I say blonde because even if she reads this post, I highly doubt she'll figure out the gift is for her, but she is awesome nonetheless.  (And it makes so I can share this before Christmas!)  Anyway, back to the calendar.

On each index card, there's a creative activity, the date, and a spot to write things if you want.  They are also left white so she can decorate them as she pleases.  Lastly, on the back lines, she can write about something that happened that day, and each year, it will become more interesting. 

How did I do this?

You'll need:

-365 index cards.  (These are 5x7.)

-Colorful Construction paper OR cardstock. 

-glue or double sided tape.  (I prefer the tape, but glue works well too.)

-Ribbon

-A box to put it all in.


Instructions:

Step 1:

Print out the activities on construction paper and cut them out.  Then glue each activity on its own index card.  Tack on a square of lined paper/index card or really anything into the corner so it can be used as an actual calendar.  Note:  The following year, she can tape over said sqaure for a new writing spot.  After that, she can just remove the previous one and tape a new one in its place.

If you want the activites to be in a weekly repeating pattern, organize them during this step. 


Categories include: 
-Spark Word:  Write whatever comes to mind.
-Story Setting:  Write all or part of a story that takes place here.
-Question to Answer:  Answer this question
-Artist's Corner:  Draw/sketch/paint the item.
-At Home Activities:  Complete the activity.
-Out of the Home Activities:  Complete the activity.
-Take a break day!


Step 2:

Punch holes in each card.  Make sure to keep the cards in desired order.


Step 3:
Here's where the fun part begins.  At first I thought I'd try to string them all into one stack.  The picture below shows 5 months worth of index cards:


Clearly, that wasn't going to work.  So, instead I did this:

First, I put dates on the cards.  It is easiest if you print the dates off then stick a piece of tape all the way down the column of dates.  Then cut them like in the picture below that way they just kind of rip right off when you need to place the next date.


Then, tape the dates on the cards in order.  Once you have an entire month in order, string a ribbon through them.  Also, don't forget to add a month "title" page too!


Repeat the process until you have all twelve months done.  Put into a box and wrap like a present so the person has a place to keep it all together!





Now, a friend/family memer/enemy can have this awesome creative calendar to keep and use as long as they please!  If you want the templates, just post a comment with your email and I'll email the word documents to you!  They'll include 7 different categories of activities as well as all the dates written out so you can just print and go.



Curious as to what I'm doing?  Check out the original post here.


1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a labor of love. These would have been awesome to use in my 5th grade classroom when I used to teach. Love them.

    And thanks for linking up to the www.pinterestchallenge.com!

    Rebecca
    www.betterlifebags.com

    ReplyDelete