Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day - Seedlings!


This weekend, my goal was to have my garden ready and tilled up for planting sometime during the week, which all depends on when I can get the paint for my cute little picket fence.  Well, with Earth Day here, I figured this week would start a great "planting" tradition that should carry on, unless I move somewhere where frost doesn't last nearly as long into the year.  Of course, today, no planting will commence, as the rain keeps holding me back from finishing up the tilling.  Perhaps a shovel will work better in the rain.   In hindsight, instead, I'll share what I've learned about each of my little seedlings since I began planting back in march.  



Parsley:

I am very happy to say that my parsley has done wonderfully!  This is probably the only plant that hasn't been pulled up at least once by my oh so loving son.

Tips and tricks that helped me:
-keep the soil moist, especially during the germination period.  The first seeds I planted didn't like me very much, so after googling, I found that parsley seeds need A TON of water for germination to occur.  They really don't need nearly as much after the plant breaks the soil, but until I saw that, I ended up having to water 2x a day, and finally, after a week, they sprouted.


Basil:

This one just hates me.  No really though, I killed the first seedlings.  They lived a really long time, but then they started to turn brown some, and I discovered they needed more water.  Then my son discovered that seedlings taste delicious.  Second seedlings sprouted about a week ago.

Tips:
-Don't let your almost 2 year old touch the seedlings.   S/he might find them appetizing.
-Water generously.  Once per day should do it, though if you notice your seedlings leaves seem like they're getting brown spots, first check for root rot.  If that isn't the problem, they probably just need more water.



Oregano:

I couldn't find oregano seeds for anything around here, so I was lame and just bought a plant.  No tips to share on this one.



Thyme:

This plant sprouted beautifully in about 8 days.  Then my son, who loved the taste of basil seedlings, decided he needed to try thyme as well.  This one wasn't as appetizing to him, because instead of eating the whole thing, he fed it to the dog.  Other than that, a once a day water worked, and the plant is growing once again. Though, do make sure you don't over water.  Thyme hates too much water, or so I've read.

Tips:
-2 year olds like eating seedlings.



Lavender:

It took 4 weeks to get a sproutling, that sprouted a few days ago.  I haven't run across any problems, other than wondering why it wasn't sprouting.  Turns out it generally takes 4-6 weeks.  Notice how tiny the little new sproutling is in the picture.

Tips:
-Be patient.



Garlic:

Sadly, for some reason, my garlic is dying.  I am convinced its because of lack of sun here.  Germany isn't exactly known for its sun.   I'm trying to bring it back to life, so hopefully, when transplanting occurs next week, the plantlings will stop looking so sick.  Google also says that the yellowing floppiness of the garlic means too much water.  Looks like I'll be trying a little harder with these ones.



Onions:

I planted 3 different seedling batches of onions.  All three were pulled out by my little Orion.  I guess he likes onions.  I have no picture to share, so instead, have a picture of him playing with something other than my plants for once.   I intend to plant a million outside once the fence is up.



Lettuce:

These seeds I planted exactly 5 days ago.  They sprouted yesterday.  So far, so good.



Green Beans:

No complaints here, except for that little munchkin.  Two green bean sprouts eaten.  I cannot wait until the plants are outside and out of his reach!  Yay for fenceline!



Corn:

Easy!  These just need a moist but not wet soil.  Mine sprouted after 6 days and have been seemingly growing ever since.



Broccoli:

These were also planted 5 days ago.  Sprouts look happy and alive as of this morning.  Popped up yesterday.



Bell Peppers:

Now, here's my growing problem.  I can't get bell peppers to sprout for the life of me.  I am currently hoping that soaking them in warm water for three days will help, and they'll be put into some heated soil on a warm radiator in hopes that sprouting occurs.  I definitely won't be putting them outside until I know the weather will stay above 60.

Tips:
-If you're going to grow these, its best done in a warm climate.  I bought seeds meant for the sierra nevada area in California (which has similar weather to here), and I'm still having trouble sprouting.



Radishes:

These grow AMAZINGLY.  My son, the one who keeps plucking up plants, plucked these up three times, and here's the third growth, that are almost ready for harvest.  It takes 25-30 days for radishes to mature, which worked well.  The first time he ate them, they were three days shy, and still looked good.  The second time, they were at 18 days past germination.   So, regardless, I think the radishes are his favorite.  No tips, except, just let them grow, as they seem to know how to do it.  I water them once a day as well.




How about you?  Any gardening tips you'd like to share?  

No comments:

Post a Comment