Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Beef Tips (Days 40-41)

Lately, my husband's favorite meal has been these beef tips and rice.  I was ALL for them ever since I made the recipe back in February.  Well, last week, the family requested them for dinner.  "Yay!", I thought.   My little alien on the other hand decided that this recipe was the worst smelling thing on the planet and that I should not even go in the kitchen while it cooks.  Of course, I made it anyway, though I had to avoid the kitchen once the delicious aroma started filling the house.  Regardless, the family devoured them while I dreamt about eating dinner instead of going near it.  Oh, the joys of pregnancy!


Now, how did I find the recipe?  Pinterest of course!  I found this recipe and this recipe, but neither of them seemed satisfying enough.  So, instead of picking one, I just combined them, changed some things, and came up with my own Beef Tips of Awesome recipe.  The recipe is incredibly simple, but like all crock pot style meals, it requires hours of cooking.  By the way, the tips taste best served over mashed potatoes, and not the instant kind.




Awesomesauce Beef Tips:


Ingredients:

-1/3 c flour
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1 to 2 pounds (ish) chuck roast cut into "tips" (or really your favorite beef of sorts.)
-1/2 c chopped green onions
-1 can of mushrooms (or about 4-8 oz.)  I like using the 8oz can. 
-1 can cream of mushroom soup.  (I love to add the kind that's with roasted garlic)
-1 boring normal can of beef broth.  (I think its about 10oz per can if you're using homemade.)
-1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.
-1 tbs tomato paste or sauce or ketchup.  Whatever tomato-y thing you have on hand should do.



Directions:

Step 1:

Preheat oven to 250 if you don't have a crock pot.  I cook mine in a bean pot in the oven.  Crock pot directions will be the same, except you'll cook it on low.  

Step 2:

Put the flour, salt, and pepper into a bag.  Add the tips and shake.  Pour it all into a bean or crock pot, or if you're really awesome and own a dutch oven, you can use that too.  Then, add all the other ingredients.  Stir a little.


Step 3:

Cook as directed below.

Cooking temps and times:*

For a low setting, cook at 200 for 8-12 hours.  For a medium setting, cook at 250 for 6-8 hours.  For a high setting, cook at 300 for 4-5 hours.

*  Temperature listed for oven and is the oven adjacent to what the temperature of the crock put would generally be.  Works about the same with almost any crock pot recipe if you're using a dutch oven or a bean pot.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. In my defense, you started it with your chocolate covered banana smoothie! lol

      Delete