Sunday, November 27, 2011

Texas Ranch Soup

I came across this recipe in a cookbook a friend recently purchased for me and just HAD to try it, particularly with cornbread. Beans n cornbread was getting old fast, and while I really like the simplicity, I needed something more to it. Low and behold, this recipe held up to that awesome comparison. To be honest, it actually knocked plain ole beans straight out of the park.


Texas ranch soup! (credit given to Better Homes cookbook. Pic below)



Incase you can't read that, here's the recipe as I made it, with a few changes and variation options:

Ingredients:

- 1 lb groud beef, browned.  (I didn't think it needed 1.5 because I didn't feel like using 1/2 of another package of ground beef.)

-2 (15-oz) cans ranchstyle beans (I assume if you know how to make these at home, it'd be 2 cups.  I wish I knew how.  If I ever figure it out, I'll tell you.)

-2 (15 oz) cans whole kernal corn (2 cups frozen corn would work too.  Or pretty much 2 cups any corn.  Except creamed.  Would not use that in this.)

-2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes (or two cups freshly diced tomatoes. )

-1 (1 1/4 oz) package taco seasoning.  (Or the equivalent of home made taco seasoning.)

Garnish - Cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, or saltine crackers (my favorite!).  Or corn bread (another favorite!)



Directions:


Step 1:

Brown beef if you haven't already.  If making corn bread, now is the time to get it into the oven.  (If you want, I can post that recipe next time. )


Step 2:

Mix everything in a medium sized stock pot.  Bring to a boil.  Once boiling, turn down heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.  If you used frozen corn, cook longer because the corn needs longer to heat up.

Step 3:

Let cool for, oh, five or so minutes.  Spoon into serving bowls and serve with whatever garnish you chose.





Incredibly simple, right?  I've seen a few variations of this recipe.  Some include spinach, green onions, and other veggies.  I haven't tried adding any simply because I don't feel like this recipe needs any fixing.  Don't fix what isn't broken, right?  And, I'm really not sure it does get better.  If anyone tries any variations though, please tell me about them!

Lastly, notice how that picture shows the soup in a rubbermaid storage container.  That's because this soup freezes AMAZINGLY.  With capslock.  Upon reheating, it tastes just as it would coming straight from the pan after cooking.  Literally no difference.  Oh, and ziplock bags work well if you prefer stove top reheating.

Best way to reheat:

- Microwave on high for about 4 mintues.  Stir.  Microwave another 2 minutes.  If for some reason it isn't warm yet, microwave in one to two minute intervals stirrnig after each until it is warm enough for you.

-Stove top:  Microwave for about a minute or two until contents around the edge of the bowl/bag aren't stuck.  If using a ziplock bag, microwave until you can break it into pieces.  Pour into pan and cook on medium heat until it is warm.


All the best and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment