Monday, November 21, 2011

Quiet book cover #2

Since the first cover turned out so easily, I figured cover number two shouldn't be too difficult. Or so I thought.

After beginning, I realized just how dumb I was to not write down the measurements from the first cover. It took several guesses and measuring a few times to get everything right. Now, I have the measurements, and they are as follows, just in case I need it again, or you all want a similar cover for your books.

Cover fabrics: 25" by 13". (after sewn, it should be 24" x 12"

Handle: 13" spending more on design. (so, potentially anywhere from 12" - 15")

Inside ribbon that holds pages: 16" if you want a bigger tie bow thing, use more length.

Inside pages will measure 10"x10" upon completion. Well, that's the goal anyway.
(measurement details on this once I finish one or two.)


Alas, pictures!


She wanted a butterfly sewn on the front, so she managed to find colorful ribbon to match the butterfly. On the pockets, I decided the Velcro on the outside would be fun to decorate and prove to be useful for the closure of the book. The name tape will sit above the butterfly. :D



On the inside, she picked that blue zebra fabric which is oh so soft! As for the ribbon, well, it is far from straight but will have to do.



As for the closure, the two satin ribbon pieces loop through each other. One is a sewn on loop while the other has Velcro on one end that will stick to the pocket on the back.



Lastly, did you know that satin burns/melts like a straw would? I decided that burning the edges just enough to keep it from fraying would be a great idea, and honestly, it was. It doesn't look anywhere near burnt but still melted just right. I officially love this stuff.

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment