Sunday, October 9, 2011

Peanut Butter Grape Nut bars

A few years ago, I found myself making this recipe off the side of the box of grape nuts.  It has to be the tastiest healthy snack I've EVER had.  Ever.  (for now)  Last week, I decided I should probably find some healthy snacks to bake, because honestly, cookies are amazing and make wonderful snacks.  The problem?  All the cookies and related snacks I know how to make are high in sugar, low in nutrition.  Considering all my kids actually eat are snacks throughout the day, the time had come to bake some.  And thus, the grape nut recipe came back to me, hopefully for good this time.  Mmm nutritious! 




The Recipe:

Ingredients:


4 cups Grape Nuts Post Cereal
3/4 cup peanut butter  (I've found that skippy natural tastes the BEST with these)
3/4 cup sugar.  (most recipes like this one call for a full cup, but honestly, I like them not as sweet.)
1 cup light corn syrup (like Karo)



Quite simple ingredients if you ask me.  =D




Instructions:




Step 1:


Stove top:
Put peanut butter, corn syrup and sugar in a small pan.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat immediately.


Microwave::
Microwave corn syrup, sugar and peanut butter in large microwavable bowl 2 minutes or just until mixture boils, stirring after each minute. 






2.  Stir in cereal until well coated.


3.  Press firmly into 9 x 13 pan, preferably foil lined, or lined with parchment paper.  (The first time, I just used cooking spray, and it came out fine, but be warned, it is extremely difficult to keep in place to form into bars of sorts.)


4.  Cool in pan.  Once cooled, cut into bars and store in tightly sealed container at room temperature.  They should keep well for at least a week.  I wouldn't partucluarly know though, because honestly, mine don't last more than 4 days.




Enjoy these delicious desserts!  I highly recommend them to anyone who loves grape nuts or peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment