Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Conquering the Lazy Bug

Recently, I read an amazing post by an awesome goal oriented blogger that talked about lazy bugs.  She compared them to lice and honestly, she is totally and completely right.  Just like lice, lazy bugs are almost impossible unless you take the right steps.  Here's where I step in and tell you how I am going to find the cure.
"Mom!  Let's play the Wii!" Says Aria every chance she gets.


I've been doing many things all day.  I've worked and wrote then worked out and wrote more.  After that I cleaned, and crafted and spent time with the kids playing legos.  Everything stayed picked up and the house kept its order.  I cooked dinner, and did what cleaning up I could handle while cooking.  Once that was done, everyone helped set the table and we all sat down to eat...  The lazy bugs though, they sat in the dark depths under the table, snickering and chuckling at the thought of their brilliant plan.  The entire day, they patiently waited until that crucial moment in my day when the family sits down to eat.  Suddenly, as I take my last bite of bbq crockpot meatball, the entire colony of lazy bugs jumps up and bite down as hard as they could on me.  These things bit so hard that metaphorical blood began dripping off my chair.  There I sat wanting to do nothing all of a sudden.  I couldn't believe that with just one activity, my entire motivation drained.  

You see, every night it seems the lazy bugs bite in some form or another.  Tonight, it was sheer exhaustion from the day.  Last night, the kids wanted to play the Wii, and who can resist that?  Sometimes, the husband wants to watch a movie with me, others I just want to take a bath.  The problem?  My routine crashes when I don't clean up the dishes after dinner and give the kids their baths.  I like to also get their rooms clean, but alas, that doesn't seem to happen either.  When none of these things happen because of that lazy bug, it spreads.  Soon, the next morning comes and I don't even want to get out of bed, let alone make breakfast, workout, or keep the house in order.  And those legos?  Forget the effort, there's already a huge mess!

My point in all this is that I mustn't let the those pesky bugs ruin my routine, evening, and effort just because they found me vulnerable.  The cure, my friends, is to keep going and do even if you reallllly don't want to.  Sure, the first week or so of work sucks and you're exhausted.  You don't want to move, let alone finish those dishes, but I tell you now, do it because the benefits will be reaped.  The reward is always greater than the work in this case, and after the initial umph, life is much easier and you'll find more time to do those things you never thought you'd have time for.

No comments:

Post a Comment