Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Reusable Swiffer Pads

A while back while I was browsing pinterest aimlessly, I came across this tutorial to make reusable swiffer pads. Boy was I excited!  I made myself 2 to test out, and they worked out really well.  Soon, a new problem arose.  The swiffer cleaner just wasn't as pleasing without -their- disposable pads, and my floors had a nice sticky residue.  Granted, there was a slight sticky residue previously, but really, I just didn't like the cleaner anyway.  Then I came across this other tutorial explaining how to remove the cap from the swiffer mop.  Awesome, right?  Well, I'm the queen of lazy, and I haven't tried to remove the cap yet.  Instead, I went back to the old fashioned mop and bucket, and it has served me hot water clean floor justice.  I just love the power of hot water on a muddy, sticky floor!

(Details on what I did differently on my swiffer pads below!)

Fast forward to yesterday.  The husband had realized my trusty mop had started to rust at the base of the metal handle.  Boo.  So, like all people who love their trusty mop, I went to buy a new one, but what did I find instead?  Why, I found this "freedom" mop of sorts.


This mop is just like the swiffer, without all the effort involved in making the swiffer eco friendly!  Sewing up each of those swiffer pads without the aid of a sewing machine proved time consuming!  In that second picture, you can see the fill tank.  Fill it with whatever.  (hot water, anyone!?)  Below is a crappy picture of the completely washable microfiber pads.  Granted they are expensive, totally worth it.  Later, I plan on sewing a couple of cheap cloths to the size of these to see how well they work.  I'll update with results once I actually get around to doing it.  Although, considering the velcro and how it is required so your mop doesn't scratch up the floor through the layers, I think I'll just drop $5 a piece on these pads.  Totally worth it when I have a million other things on my forever long to do list.



But, if you're still interested in making the swiffer pads, that tutorial is pure awesome.  (Yay instructables.com!) I added velcro to the bottom of mine because the felt just didn't want to stick right.  If you intend on doing this too, I recommend sewing the velcro to the felt itsself before sewing the entire pad together.  It is MUCH easier that way, but make sure you have your placing right before doing so, as it could mess with everything.  during the flipping right side out part.

I also sewed two horizontal lines and 4 vertical ones instead of 3 horizontal and 5 vertical.  It works well and probably saved me a good hour or two.

Oh, and instead of using a wool blanket and t-shirts, I used the cotton fabric I had laying around as well as receiving blankets, a t-shirt or two, and felt.  I imagine real wool felt or the wool blanket will stick to the swiffer without the need of velcro, but be sure to test your fabric of choice before you decide not to have the velcro.

Happy Sewing!  (Or shopping!)

Lastly, I'd love to know:  What's your favorite way to clean the floor?

1 comment:

  1. Just so ya know...I have a rubbermaid version...B/c it is wider than the Libman (I got them in the US just before leaving). And the Rubbermaid version has a removable bottle...that I can mix solution in & it sprays on to the floor. I have 3 bottles...b/c I figure I might not always mix up a bottle & use it completely...And I have like 5 pads...they velcro on. I love it.

    ReplyDelete